Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lucky, Jan. 08


A couple of months ago I started reading Lucky, a monthly publication dedicated to the shopaholic in all of us. If you're unfamiliar, each magazine comes with a sheet of brightly-colored tab stickers that say "Yes" and "Maybe". This is brilliant and delights my inner child. Why didn't they have stickers in the Sears Wish Book when I was a kid? It would have been so much easier.

Anyway, here are a few things I marked in January's issue.

YES! NikePlus! Running and walking shoes with a built-in pedometer that talks to your iPod nano! How awesome is that?

YES! CoverGirl WetSlicks! I'm always looking for a good gloss. My current favorite is GlamShine by L'oreal, but it's so hard to find nowadays. WetSlicks looks as though it might be a suitable replacement. I'll bet it's cheaper, too.

Speaking of gloss, I read here that it's on it's way "out". Of course, I don't pay much attention to what's "in" and "out", but my favorite male counterpart agrees that lipstick is sexier than gloss. (It was more of a complaint, actually.) And I, myself, couldn't help but be intrigued by the article's mention of Lip of Luxury by Too Faced--a line of lipsticks made with pink champagne.

MAYBE? January's "Do It Yourself" featured makeup artist to the stars Robin Fredriksz, a girl apparently so insecure she felt a need to add a "z" to the end of a perfectly good last name. Despite this slightly annoying characteristic, I found her technique of applying mascara with a fan brush intriguing, and if I ever FIND my fan brush (still unpacking), I'm going to test this method.

Why did it just get a "maybe"? Neither of the girls on this page look like they're even wearing makeup, so a part of me wonders why I'm even interested in trying this girl's technique. I think she might need some pointers herself.

YES! Check out "BeautySpy" on P. 94. A new hand creme by Burt's Bees that smells like banana cream pie. Who can resist? Honestly, there's just something about mixing food/drink with cosmetics that attracts me. The only reason I tried Burt's Bees Marshmallow Vanishing Creme is because marshmallow cream is so yummy and sinful because, ya know, it's not the type of thing you just buy and eat. You're usually planning on using it to create another treat--like fudge. But once you get it home, you can't help opening it for a little sample. I think I'm getting off-topic here.

And, in case that fan brush tip doesn't pan out, I'll be in the market for a new mascara. "BeautySpy" recommends Cover Girl's Lash Blast. It's probably just like every other Cover Girl mascara out there, but you never know when you'll stumble upon a keeper. And, well, I just like the bright-orange packaging. Shallow, I know.

That's it for the January issue. I was honestly a little disappointed because December's issue yielded 4X the number of stickers. Oh well. February's issue should be on newstands any second now.

No comments: